Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wedding Wednesday: Wedding Week & Some Words of Wisdom

I am a type A girl. Because of that characteristic, Josh and I did not have much to do the week of the wedding...or so I thought. Turns out, it doesn't matter how "prepared" or "ready" you are for the big day. The week of the wedding there is ALWAYS something else that needs to get done or some other issue that arises. 

Before my bridal portrait session, I had booked a flight with Josh to fly down the Tuesday before the wedding. I thought that would be plenty of time to do all the last minute "to-dos" and still have time to relax. At the photo shoot, I realized my dress was too big! EEK! I changed my flight to the Saturday before the wedding, and thank goodness I did. I needed all the time I could get and then some. Warning: This post is photo heavy. 

The Friday before my departure Josh and I went to our last CrossFit class as the "bachelor/bachelorette". Our friends surprised us with mimosas and donuts (yes, it was 6:30am. No, it isn't paleo. Yes, it was awesome.) Our CrossFit community is phenomenal, and it was the perfect way to kick off the wedding week!

Morning Crew

On Saturday, I woke up bright and early, finished packing, and headed to the airport. It was so hard to say goodbye to Walter. I knew when we returned from the wedding and honeymoon he would be so much bigger (which was true). Luckily, Josh had a few more days with him to give him extra loving.

The second I landed in McAllen, my Momma and I were off with things to do. First thing on the list, try to get my dress altered. After the bridal session in July I tried to set up a follow up appointment with my seamstress, but she was going on vacation for almost a month! That nixed the possibility of her fixing it. We called a few other ladies to see if they might be willing to take the challenge, but then we got nervous since it was so close to the wedding. Only other option, try to find a bra that helped hold my dress in place. We went everywhere in search of the right undergarment. Finally, after hours of shopping, we found something that could work: a sticky bra and some boob tape. We tried it on with my dress. It wasn't even close to perfect but we knew it was as good as it was going to get. From there we dropped my dress off to get steamed, and finally stopped to catch our breath.

On Sunday night we relaxed and had a small party at my Mommasita's house. Word of advice: during your wedding week, take time to stop and savor every moment. This event only happens once and you need to relish every second. Even the stressful ones. This party reminded me to stop and have fun, which we did!
Me and Lily
A wedding cake before the wedding! My Mom's friend makes gorgeous cakes and they taste amazing too. We sipped champagne, ate cake, and laughed for the rest of the night. 

On Monday, we spent the entire day getting things packed and ready for the trip up to San Antonio. We purchased last minute gifts, wrapped everything and made tons of lists. Word of advice: make tons of lists the week before the wedding. Our wedding was several hours from my home in McAllen. If we had forgotten something, there would have been no way to "run home" to grab it. Our lists were instrumental in helping us make sure we had everything we needed for the wedding. 
Norma and Jimena helping us wrap the gifts. We couldn't have done it without them.

Tuesday was the day I was supposed to arrive. Again, thank goodness I changed that! My Mommasita and I packed up the car and started making 6 hour trip to San Antonio. Our car was full and busting at the seams!
Jackie was such a good sport!

Along the way we stopped to see my Daddy and then my Nene. She and my Papa were not able to come to the wedding so I was excited and thankful to see her before the big day. This was also where we said goodbye to Jackie. She was staying with Nene for the week, and I am sure she was ready to get out of that packed car.

We made it to San Antonio with minutes to spare before Josh's plane landed. Quickly we stopped by the place we were staying, threw the stuff out of the car (he wouldn't have fit if we hadn't), and went to the airport to pick up my handsome fiance! First order of business, go to the court house and get our marriage license!

From there we met with some vendors and then took a break. It was after 5pm and we still hadn't eaten lunch. We got Josh checked into his hotel and then immediately went to happy hour. It had been a crazy day, and we all needed a drink. 

On Wednesday, my Momma and I woke up early and got to work. We dropped off all of the final payments for vendors, ordered the wedding day lunch, went to the liquor store (#priorities), went to my Mom's final dress fitting, picked up her dress, picked up more hostess gifts, and then picked up Josh. Phew! From there, the three of us went to a wholesale store that sells specifically to convenience stores. It was the perfect place to get all the items we needed for our welcome bags! We stocked up, and then took a break for happy hour/dinner. Yet, again we missed lunch because we were going non-stop! That night we drank straight from the bottle poured some glasses of wine and assembled all the gift bags.

My handsome man was so wonderful the entire week and so much help. I am beyond thankful that he is my partner for life. 

Our wedding had a garden theme but I wanted people to feel the love we have for our home state. So we added Texas touches to the welcome bags, the food at the reception, and some of the special music. I couldn't have been more please with how everything turned out.  
Texas bag with Topo Chico Water, Advil, Beer Salt and Mexican Candy

On Thursday, we still had more to do! I couldn't believe it. I thought I was way ahead of schedule. Like I said, it turns out there is always something that needs to be done. By this time, I had reached my breaking point. I told my Momma whatever wasn't ready by that point, I didn't care. I was ready to just sit back and relax. So that is what we did. We went and got our nails done, went to Saks, and had a delicious lunch. Word of advice: some things are just never going to get finished. Don't worry about it. No one is going to notice if your cake platter is not correct or your Gobo light is missing. There comes a point when you just have to throw in the towel, and by Thursday, I threw it far!

That afternoon, we got checked into our hotel and the wedding festivities officially began!

On a side note (and you will see this is a constant theme in my wedding recap posts), I was VERY emotional during the entire week. My Momma was wonderful, and just let me cry. I was never really a bridezilla (my mom might disagree) but I was definitely a Cryzilla. Thank you Momma. I appreciate you so much and couldn't have done it without you!

More to come next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment