Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Weekend Recap: A Texas Wedding

This weekend I flew to Texas for the wedding of one of my oldest friends. We have been friends for 25 years and I didn't want to miss such a joyous occasion. 

I took off after work on Friday. I flew Southwest and didn't have the best boarding group so when I saw a window seat I pounced on it. I ended up sitting next to one of my work colleagues. It made the three hour flight go by so much faster to have a friend to visit with. Plus she gave me some free drink tickets. Score!

Late that night, Mommasita and Nene (my awesome grandmother) picked me up from the airport and we drove to my grandparent's house in Kingsville. Growing up, I stayed with my grandparents all the time, but since moving away, I rarely get time with them. I enjoyed waking up at their house on Saturday, having coffee with my Papa, running errands with my Nene, and just being with them. We also had an unexpected visit from my Aunt and Uncle. It was a great morning of family time and I loved every second.

At 2pm my Mommasita and I drove to Corpus for the wedding. I forget how humid it gets down there. My hair went from curly to straight in a matter of 30 seconds. 

Like I mentioned above, my friend Clay and I have been friends since Kindergarten. We went to a tiny ranch school where our class size was roughly 10 people. In Junior High, we moved on to the "big city" school in Falfurrias where our class size exponentially grew to about 90 people. We met a whole new group of friends including Clay's future wife, Gina. They were high school sweethearts and on Saturday they officially tied the knot. It was beautiful service, a great party, and an even better reunion. I got to see so many of my longtime friends and it made me yet again so thankful for my hometown. Falfurrias was a great place to grow up. It brought some amazing people into my life, and I will forever be grateful! 
Congratulations Clay and Gina! Thank you for sharing your special day with me, and I am still thinking about that delicious cake!

The next morning, my Momma fixed a big breakfast, and we spent the morning chatting around the kitchen table with my grandparents. At lunch time my dad picked me up so that we could hangout before heading to the airport. Even though it was a short visit, I loved being with my Daddy. I filled him in on all the details from the night before. This was the first time I had seen my dad since Josh and I left for our honeymoon so we rehashed our wedding too. I think we will be talking about it forever. Such a great night!

My layover on was SO LONG. Houston Hobby does not have many options for distractions during a layover so I spend a vast majority of the day at the bar. #sundayfunday
After a dinner of champagne and M&Ms I am ready to start eating healthy again!

Right before boarding I ran into my friends Emily and Phil which made the last half hour go by like a flash. Thank goodness!

It was a great weekend. Not only did I get to witness a beautiful union, but I was reunited with so many people I love and got to see my family. It couldn't have been better!

How was your weekend?

What do you do when you are stuck in the airport? 

No comments:

Post a Comment