Friday, October 21, 2011

Daddy Takes Congress

Last Wednesday I got a phone call from my Daddy while I was at work. "What are you doing this weekend?" he asked. I started listing all of my engagements, and then he asked "well what if I told you I was coming to DC tomorrow?" I replied that they were all canceled! Effective immediately.

My Daddy had been asked to come and testify at a hearing in the House of Representatives on Border Security. I was so proud. I helped him make his flight arrangements for the next day, and before I knew it I was meeting him at security in my office building! 

I hadn't seen my Daddy since May so I was super excited to give him a big hug. He met all of my coworkers, and then for about three hours we worked on his testimony for the hearing. By 9pm, we were starving!!! So we sauntered over to Acqua Al 2 with Josh for a yummy Italian dinner and great conversation.

The next morning, Friday, I met my Daddy at his hotel and headed to the House buildings bright and early. After a quick breakfast in the Longworth cafeteria, we made our way to the hearing room.  My dad did an excellent job at clearly articulating the problems citizens are facing down on the border regarding drug cartels and violence. He is a smart man, and I am so proud to call him my father!
After the Hearing!
 After the hearing, my dad went downtown for an interview with the NRA and I went back to work. That night we met some of his friends for another yummy dinner, but I was exhausted from the night before. I was in bed and asleep by about 9:45pm.

As I have said before, I am training for a marathon, and I knew that I had to get my run in to stay on my training schedule. I woke up at 6am, ate a cliff bar, and ran out the door for a 14 mile run. It was a beautiful day, but I was ready to finish the second I started so I could get back to the Hill to hangout with my dad. After my run, I showered, got ready, and met my dad at his hotel. We caught a cab and made our way to the Grand Hyatt at Metro Center for the DC Aggie Football Watch Party. We were playing Baylor and I had a feeling it would be a packed bar so I wanted us to be there nice and early...we ended up being the first people there and the bar wasn't even open yet! Oooopsie!!! It didn't matter though, my dad and I chatted for a bit and claimed the best spots in the house!
Gig 'Em Aggies!!!!
 After a great Aggie Victory, we were all still in the mood for some football. So off to Hill Country Bar-B-Q we went to watch the OSU vs tu football game. I love Hill Country. Everything inside it is from Texas and they fly-in all of the beer, wood, and Blue Bell from Texas too. It just feels like home. It also happens to be where the Tsips watch their football games...we stuck out like a sore thumb in our Aggie Maroon, but we didn't care...we were still on a from our win. After an OSU victory and heckling some longhorns, my dad, Josh and I drove to Josh's place to watch SOME MORE football. Well, they watched football. I promptly fell asleep on the couch. I was exhausted from my run and the exciting day!

On Sunday, I met my Daddy for some breakfast, and then Josh, him, and I went to Mass at the Basilica. It is a beautiful church on the inside and out, and I definitely suggest it to people visiting DC.
Sunny and Beautiful Day

 It also happens to be where Former Speaker of the House and Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich goes to Mass!
Hello Speaker!

 After Mass, we met some of my lovely lady friends at Rosa Mexicano for brunch! Ole!
Daddy with the Girls!

 My Daddy's flight was still about 4 hours away. So he and I walked around Capitol Hill for a bit t work off our lunch. It happened to be right when the Wall Street Protesters took over the Supreme Court steps.

 My Daddy and I then went and got a milk shake (so much for walking off our lunch) at Ted's Bulletin. Since as long as I can remember, my dad and I have always loved ice cream and milk shakes... so this was a special treat...and it reminded me of when I was little and we drove through the Dairy Queen drive-thru...only Ted's milkshakes are like 50 times richer and better!

By the time we finished our shakes, it was time to take my Daddy to the airport. We both cried when I dropped him off, but we knew it wouldn't be long till we were back together again! It was a fabulous weekend and I think my Daddy's best trip up here yet. We just had so much fun, and he did an amazing job at the hearing!

I love you Daddy!
Thank you for being the best Daddy ever!
Happy Friday Everyone and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment